LF: Re: 137 kHz band - WRC07

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 137 kHz band - WRC07
From: "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 14:26:45 -0700
Sender: [email protected]

> On the face of it, a transmitting setup running 1 watt EIRP will be 2.1
> dB weaker than 1 watt ERP based on a dipole in free space. That's not a
> step forward. Presumably, countries presently defining power in this
> allocation based on dipole-ERP will have to switch to the more
> restrictive EIRP, right?

This is unfortunate and I really wonder why they would seek to define it
this manner. It seems to me that simple "ERP" is a much more valid term of
reference to use for this application. Interestingly, some of our Canadian
LF experimental licences were issued for 1 W ERP, while others for 1W EIRP,
which makes one wonder if anyone in the know really knows or is concerned
about the difference.

At any rate, either way will likely require a good kW to get close,
considering most normal backyard LF antennas.

Steve / VE7SL

Web: "THE VE7SL RADIO NOTEBOOK" at   http://www.imagenisp.ca/jsm