Re: LF: Re: 137 kHz band - WRC07

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 137 kHz band - WRC07
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 16:48:15 -0700
Sender: [email protected]

The Canadian proposal was based on 1W EIRP according to Jim, VE3IQ one of major driving forces behind it. i May even have an email around here somewhere explaining the issue from many years back... I think they may have intended to ask for 1W EIRP and start off by asking for 1W ERP, you know the old ask for more and have what you want as a concession...

73 Scott
VE7TIL

Steve McDonald wrote:
On the face of it, a transmitting setup running 1 watt EIRP will be 2.1
dB weaker than 1 watt ERP based on a dipole in free space. That's not a
step forward. Presumably, countries presently defining power in this
allocation based on dipole-ERP will have to switch to the more
restrictive EIRP, right?

This is unfortunate and I really wonder why they would seek to define it
this manner. It seems to me that simple "ERP" is a much more valid term of
reference to use for this application. Interestingly, some of our Canadian
LF experimental licences were issued for 1 W ERP, while others for 1W EIRP,
which makes one wonder if anyone in the know really knows or is concerned
about the difference.

At any rate, either way will likely require a good kW to get close,
considering most normal backyard LF antennas.

Steve / VE7SL

Web: "THE VE7SL RADIO NOTEBOOK" at   http://www.imagenisp.ca/jsm