LF: 137 kHz band - WRC07

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 137 kHz band - WRC07
From: John Andrews <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:02:42 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

I've been trying to post various versions of the following to the U.S. lowfer reflector for a half hour, but they are always rejected as spam. I'll post it here!

In an article on the ARRL site:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2007/11/02/102/?nc=1

An allocation at 135.7-137.8 kHz is still wending its way through the process. At this point, two footnotes have been added. One would limit the power to 1 watt EIRP. The other would allow countries in Region I to opt out of permitting the allocation. Also, for some reason, Saudi Arabia appears to be objecting to the whole idea.

On the face of it, a transmitting setup running 1 watt EIRP will be 2.1 dB weaker than 1 watt ERP based on a dipole in free space. That's not a step forward. Presumably, countries presently defining power in this allocation based on dipole-ERP will have to switch to the more restrictive EIRP, right?

And the opt-out for Region I is probably a concession to the Saudis. It'll be interesting on a number of levels to see how the U.S. votes when the final package is ready.

John Andrews, W1TAG