Re: LF: 500 Birmingham Grabber!

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 500 Birmingham Grabber!
From: John Pumford-Green GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:34:53 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:07:05 +0100
"Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2007 at 22:24, John Pumford-Green GM4SLV wrote:
>
> > After a few CQ calls I've put a QRSS transmission on 502.2 for a few
> > ninutes and see my signal on Dave's grabber in Birmingham. That must
> > be a first for me!?
>
> I briefly listened on the band around 2115z before turning in. I
> heard one of your CQ calls down here in Bracknell, 549 solid copy.

Thanks Dave for the report, yes things are picking up now!

I put the QRSS on just to give an identifiable trace on Dave's grabber,
I would never consider a real QSO in that mode!

I had short QSO with Mark GM4ISM, but lost him in QSB/QRN then a longer
one with GI4DPE between 2133-2155 UTC. Shame you didn't hang around and
give it a try.

I'm starting to hear some of the more southern stations now (QRN
permitting). Have worked G3DXZ and GW4HXO in recent days for the first
time.

Was hearing by ear G3XIZ's QRSS on 503.5 (from memory) too last night.

You missed a great evening on Tuesday - with at least 6 stations active
in real CW, all scatterred over the band with xtal controlled rigs. We
had a ball. I'm hoping that more people will be encouraged to dust off
the rigs that have lain dormant over the summer doldrums and come on.
It's no longer necessary to stay up into the wee small hours.

We've been received at good readable strength in Finland now by
Paul-Henrik (OH1LSQ) from 18:40z onwards.

I've heard G3UNT reliably in the daytime but despite a valiant attempt
(with help from Mal G3KEV) we failed to make a QSO on Saturday morning.

Best 73 from Shetland (no longer the only GM on 500!)

John GM4SLV IP90gg