Re: LF: NA LF QSO

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: NA LF QSO
From: John Andrews <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:23:52 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Mike, all,

Bob ZL2CA and myself are preparing for another (possibly the last) LF test from Quartz Hill. In the absence of any VE activity we were wondering whether your licences in the US permit QSO's with DX stations?

Yes, at least several of us have asked for and received that authority. The open question is whether an amateur in another country would have any regulatory problems by communicating with a non-amateur station. Answers seem to vary -- the Canadian hams didn't want to risk an upset of their arrangement (while it lasted <g>). But I understand that it <<might>> not be an issue in the U.K. You might want to check that out (at least informally) for ZL.

At present, Jay Rusgrove (W1VD/WD2XNS) and I are active, and are each running 1 watt ERP in the 137 kHz band. Warren Ziegler (K2ORS/WD2XGJ/etc.) is re-working his antenna, and has authority to use frequencies in the 160-190 kHz range as well as the 137 kHz band. He can better advise you of his expected status for the equinox period. Dex McIntyre (W4DEX/WD2XKO) is off the air due to a license renewal snafu. Various others have been producing lower power signals in the two bands, but can certainly chime in with their plans.

Receiving is another matter. Jay has a definite edge over me in that category, being in a more rural area. We both have had no problems with the (rare) bigger EU signals, but Jay's copy of weaker signals is usually better than mine. Warren can offer his opinions on his own setup. Dex is usually limited by thunderstorm static for a month beyond the September equinox.

So, that's what I know! The others can offer their opinions and news on their setups.

John Andrews, W1TAG/WD2XES