LF: : aqc to singapore clip- more

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: : aqc to singapore clip- more
From: Laurence KL1X <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 04:38:39 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Chaps - much better last night, ie constructive against destructive on DCF39....peek signals were 5dB above those on the 18th - but I see that s/n is necessarily better.

Im sitting here in a massive tstorm at the moment with the antennae disconnected - huge bolts are landing within a few hundred meters. Visibility is only 100m and I can hardly hear myself with the vertical rain - Sheri and I shout across the room to be heard over the thunderous rain.

I modded the 1:1 isolation transformer for the PAORDT probe interface based on my tests using the AIM4170 - and sweeping/plotting the losses and VSWR etc  - it now just has 4 turns on the primary and secondary on something close to type 77 material - this allows me to use it 100Khz all the way up to 15Mhz without serious loss at the top end which was happening before. Ive decided the AIM unit is a marvelous tool for building transformers and looking at what the heck is going on for LF and HF

I also measured the receive strength of the two probes which are within 2Om of each other -one is some 20ft higher than the other. Using DCF39 on fade out and a mix of Speclabs and Argo Ive determined that theres no advantage to the additional height  and only the spectre of additional attention from passing tstorms. Im my favor I can take down the highest probe in a little over 10 secs! -well to below target height anyway. Of course on 10 and 15Mhz the space diversity affects really show even on this short base line

Too many "I's" in this email - apologies. If these blessed storms and associated thumps goes away Ill listen again this evening in the normal slots. 136.317 - 319 KHz tonight.

Laurence KL1X aka 9V1 LF
Rather soggy Singapore.