Re: LF: 500 Beacons

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 500 Beacons
From: John Pumford-Green GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:36:52 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 08:07:05 -0000
"hamilton mal" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can also hear beacons day and nite on 505.1 but no cw for ID so do
> not know who they are.
>  73 Mal/G3KEV

Hi Mal, LF

Strange that you can't identify the various German & Swedish QRSS
beacons above 505.1?

I seem to remember that during our first (the first ever G - GM 500 kc/s
QSO) you actually asked me to "send in QRSS" mode so that you could get
your report! I presumed that my weak signal on CW was too difficult to
read but you were prepared to try any means to bag the first GM?

I actually  had to send that QRSS for you by hand ( anyone ever tried
sending callsigns and RST reports by hand in QRSS-3 ?) but was happy to
do so to make that QSO. I guess you received it well enough as you've
claimed GM in your DXCC 500 list!

I'd have thought that if you're prepared to use QRSS to your advantage
when necessary that you'd be able to use it to identify the odd beacon
signal that doesn't include a "full speed" CW ident?

I heard you calling CQ this morning on 502.5 but by the time I got a
chance to sit at the key and reply you'd vanished?

I've spent the last 1/2 hour calling CQ myself on 502.5 but nil heard.

Now QRT for other chores. I've got today off work so may be around a
bit later.

On the subject of beacons : I can see the QRSS from DI2AM, as well as
hear his CW ident by ear, up around 505.1 - so at least one of the QRSS
beacons up there sends real CW as ID.

Regards,

John GM4SLV