Re: LF: 500kHz screen grabs / HRO

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 500kHz screen grabs / HRO
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:01:36 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=dOuyPkNmrKLQRv3b1uCFEFRcY8jCC+UuvunVh96SnSS28XgRw7Qdh1LetNpFdniRzDPbVZuAuZbrLH2PAEzq4R7CT5E02sHGsqgxZwb3j54ihCbu5LCKn7ZaI25/NTgO53jWLJzPRbIzdU28IcLxBezeD4TnU+sOgmB7SZhy0TE= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear LF Group,

Thanks for all the reports - It looks like 500kHz is rather like 136k in
that you need a propagation path that is in darkness or near-darkness over
the longer distances. It is encouraging that the QSB seems not to be too
severe; it looks like QRSS contacts should be perfectly feasible over
inter-European distances if signal levels won't support CW, etc. Should be
interesting when winter comes around.

I got out my old HRO receiver yesterday - with the 480 - 960kHz coil pack
plugged in, a 0.1uV signal is at a comfortably readable level at 502kHz, so
it lacks nothing in sensitivity compared to a modern RX. The selectivity is
poor compared to a modern CW filter of course, but this is not too much of a
problem, since there are not really any very strong signals around the band,
unlike 136k. It drifts significantly, a kHz or two in the last day or so -
but it is drifting very slowly, so not really a problem for normal
operation, I suppose it might settle down in time. I have now installed a
relay and gain control pot for muting on TX, and used it for a QSO with
G3AQC this morning. What with SG Browns headphones, morse key and
everything, I am starting to look like a proper radio operator now :-)

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU