Re: LF: 500 condx GW3UEP

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 500 condx GW3UEP
From: John GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:32:59 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 06:42:22 +0100
"Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 26 Jul 2007 at 2:01, John GM4SLV wrote:
>
> > I have a sound recording but my mp3 player/recorder is refusing to
> > talk USB to the PC at the moment...perhaps I'll be able to extract
> > it tomorrow.
>
> Why use an mp3 player? Your pc is quite capable of playing mp3 files
> all by itself. I use Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com) for
> virtually everything these days, you need to download its plugins as
> well. Windows Media Player will also do the job but I am no great fan
> of that MS program. For recording I use Audacity (do a google), you
> need to download its mp3 plugin seperately for licence reasons.
>
> Note also that it you want to listen to the mp3's on my site you
> should download them to your hard drive rather than playing them
> online. Media Player in particular gets all upset about security if
> you try and play them online.
>
> 73 Dave G3YMC
>
> http://www.davesergeant.com

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the info. I already understand all your advice, but use a
different route for recording sound, for various reasons.

I use an MP3 "player" (an I-River H120, running "Rockbox" firmware) to
RECORD, directly encoding to either MP3/WAV/FLAC, so I can record stuff
without the inconvenience of needing to use the PC, just by plugging it
into the headphone socket of the RX. This is often just to collect
things for my own listening, so I don't need to involve a PC, as the
files aren't going anywhere other than back into my ears - HI!

I can quite happily play MP3 or whatever files from the PC as you
describe. My main "user" machine here is a Linux box and also has
plenty of free software for playing audio.

The only windows box is the one running SpecLab/Argo/W.H.Y for the
grabber - as these programs are well understood by the majority of
people here, so I'd rather run them for QRSS/weak signal detection than
use a Linux QRSS package.

I've used Audacity in the past (the Linux version) and know of it's
usefulness. I do still use it occasionally for editing.

My problem last night with Rog's recording revolved around a recently
developing hardware fault in the I-River which manifests itself as an
unwillingness to connect its own hard-drive out through the USB port!

I did eventually get it to work, and sent Rog the sound file!

Can Audacity be used to record sound at the same time as
SpecLab/Spectran/Argo have the single internal PC soundcard in use?

I suspect not, so I'll have to stick with my current hardware recorder
to take sound samples and let the PC sit there doing its own job.

I could feed another audio path from the AR7030 (it has 2 independant,
seperately adjustable AUX audio outputs) into the second machine (this
Linux box) and record with Audacity if I need to.

I don't want to precipitate any Linux/Windows/Mac discussions
please, the net is too full of them as it is... we're just talking about
how to get sound from RX to email/websites and back again... all
platforms are equally as capable...

Cheers,

John