Re: LF: 500 propagation

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 500 propagation
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 16:06:10 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=mhWpmPnc9XWSHvHe2odCVlStVukHfJYLiCxHQtgkFjFT7xZptEfBs0dmBojf/4tMmdTp2tLskIAZKdhSt9IShp2Y1jXaLV+/6lXOTkB8pH6/JzvHqytbuZGoNTukCnhjs6T4Qb5wwIlorXAqHD7eKCluTpW5ZkDe8cf0wicjy3E= ;
Domainkey-status: good (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Dave thanks for those comments, I dont often listen at HF these days so
would not know what to expect. I use the NOAA site for Kp which hit 5 this
morning on the Boulder estimate. But I use the Dst estimate to judge the
electron precipitation into the D-layer. This mimics the continuing
absorption well after the Kp has returned to "quiet". It is a kind of
measurement of the size of the reservoir of electrons available in the Ring
Current in the Van Allen belts, which enter the ionosphere at the sunrise
edge. LF conditions at night stay depressed until the reservoir is near
exhasted.

My guess is the D-layer is normally absorbing at 500k but I wondered if it
might switch to "refecting" if the injection was high enough.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK