Re: LF: 500kHz Distance

To: [email protected], rsgb <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 500kHz Distance
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 11:31:49 +0000
Cc: "lawrence mayhead" <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Laurie,
> The problem with an erp limit as low as 0.1W is that there is no incentive
> to develop better antennas.
> We can easily develop enough power to drive even the most inefficient of
> antennas.
> Not like 136 where it needed 1000w to achieve 1W erp even with quite a large
> ant. so there was
> an incentive and a challenge to develop better antennas.

  I agree 100%. Here in the U.S., the 500kHz experimental license WD2XSH is
limited to 20 watts erp, but thats only because 20 watts was all that was
requested. The group felt (wrongly, I believe ) that the FCC would be more
likely to issue a license if the power was kept low. It is my experience and
understanding of the FCC that there are only two things that they care about
when issuing an experimental license 1) No conflicts with existing users, and
2)That all of the required issues are addressed on the application forms. I
requested and received a 136 kHz license (WD2XGJ) with 10 watts ERP, in
retrospect I think that the FCC would have granted me 100watts or 1kW ERP on
136 just as easily - I would have had a difficult time radiating 1kW on 136
though!

The WD2XSH experiment is supposed to demonstrate the reliability of groundwave
on the band with an eye to emergency comms. Many in the XSH group have an
aversion to QRSS which in any event is not  really useful for passing emergency
traffic. Of course as we get into Spring and Summer the noise is steadily
rising, and 20 watts of c.w. will not reliably span a country the size of the
U.S..

   Our licensing process differs from the U.K. N.O.V. process, the experimental
licenses are issued by a different branch of the FCC than issues amateur
licenses.  I have recently filed a new application, apart from WD2XSH for
200watts ERP from 505-515 kHz with an eye toward investigating new digital
modes.  I felt that 200 watts ERP would be a significant (10dB) step above the
current XSH license, and would be about the limit that I would be willing to
run. The experimental licensing process here is a slow one and it will take
some time to bear fruit.

--
73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ/WD2XSH/23/WE2XEB/2
FN42hi