Re: LF: 500kHz Distance

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 500kHz Distance
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 07:33:17 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
Hi All,

I once vowed never to get involved in any e-mail pig pong wars but I wanted to add my tuppence worth.

Laurie I agree with you and Mal. We need a stipulation of power that is easily measurable and gives some incentive to improve antennas and equipment and more activity.

Using a stipulated power, say in the 5 to 10 watts region, would be easy to measure with simple equipment such as a peak voltmeter and dummy load and those with the NoV, (or hopefully in the future without), could spend time developing simple equipment for the band. Who dreamed up these daft ERP and dBw notions anyway? I can use them but surely rms power into a dummy load or antenna is a far easier measurement to quantify?

Geoff G3YVF, unfortunately with a poor antenna, has developed two excellent designs using both valves and semiconductors. I've already learnt something about antenna losses and measurement over the last few weeks and for me the NoV has been a breath of fresh air in terms of operating, building antennas and equipment. Locally G3XAQ and G3UNT have made similar designs - and learnt a lot on the way.

I've just written to my local Ofcom Field Office letting them know I, (and G3YVF), intend to operate portable on the marshes in two weeks time, depending on the winds for our kite antenna.See you there - those left on the band.

I've told them about the NoV and given them my NGR - I wonder if the local Office will know what I'm talking about?

Like you I think activity is falling off........a great pity. Any CW is good CW from tapping two wires together to a bug, a pump or an elbug. This could be a great band for the GQRP club gang with a simple transmitter at 5 watts. You must know the story........

Back to lawn cutting. See you on 502 after lunch.

73

Colin G3VTT