RE: LF: FS measurements

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: FS measurements
From: Dick Rollema <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 16:12:58 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Laurence,

Yes, I knew that the station at 135.43 kHz sending info similar to DCF 38 is in Hungary. But I do not know its call sign.

At my location the measured signal from DCF38 (near Magdeburg) is 20 dB stronger that the one from the station near Budapest.
The distances of the stations from my location are about 598 resp. 1157 km.

The CCIR propagation graph for "Land" (conductivity 0.03 S/m, diëlectric constant 40) predict a difference of only 12 dB, assuming that both stations have the same EMRP. But the assumption that the ground constants of the two paths are identical may be entirely wrong and the radiated powers could be different as well.

The difference in distance of the two stations, "seen" from Shanghai, is negligible, I think. So the fact that you receive Budapest stronger than Magdeburg could mean that Budapest has higher power. But you must be receiving both stations via sky wave and this involves so many unpredictable factors that conclusions as to power are debatable.

73, Dick, PA0SE