Re: LF: [500] G3XIZ QSO

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: [500] G3XIZ QSO
From: CHRISTOPHER OSBORN <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 06:17:48 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Dave, Pete, LF,

Many thanks for the reports and my welcome to the world of 500 kHz.
I opened my N.O.V. last night and managed to have 3 QSO's before bed time:
M0FMT, G3YXM and G3WCB
Hopefully 500 kHz will continue to be this active - HI !

Pete 'FMT bullied me into applying for the N.O.V. for which I'm grateful.
It arrived so fast thet it caught me unprepared having only a home brew lash-up DC RX (just on veroboard at present).
The TX is a old HP3310 function generator giving about half a watt into 50 ohms and I'm keying the aerial !!

Change-over is horrendous as I use the f/gen as the RX local oscillator too!
It involves swapping several croclips and a quick frequency change - HI !
It's amazing that I can get out with such a lash-up up and with low power, so the band shows considerable promise.

I should have my proper HB TRX up and running soon and am also making a rotatable directional loop aerial for receiving.

73 Chris G3XIZ

Dave G3WCB <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Chris, LF,

Congratulations on your first 500 kHz QSO with Pete, M0FMT. You were 569, M0FMT was 579.

Screenshot attached. G3XIZ visible on 502.37 kHz, M0FMT is on 502.41. Both stations about 15 dB above the noise.

RX set-up here is the reqular 137 kHz "Tee" antenna into a G3YXM tuned pre-amp then an ICOM IC-PR1000....exactly the same as for 137 kHz.

73, Dave G3WCB IO91RM