Re: LF: 500 VY1JA LWL tonight

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 500 VY1JA LWL tonight
From: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 17:54:37 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dear J. and others,

my experience is that any high wire aerial in L or T form for LF will
work fine for reception on 500 kHz, even untuned, feeding into the shack
via coaxial cable! This has been confirmed by SM6BHZ in a private email.

When tuning the aerial noise will come up as well and therefore will not
be of any advantage, the signal to noise ratio for receive will remain
the same. Height of the arial is most important to catch weak signals!

Untuned vertical loop aerials (mine with a circumference of 15 meter
wire) will also work for reception even at low altitudes, pereferably
when using a preamplifier. If possible the reactive impedance of the
loop should be matched to the amplifier input by a broadband
transformer. In some cases preselectivity may be needed before
amplification.

Tuning the antenna is always necessary on MF to LF for transmitting, of
course.

Good luck!

73 ha-jo, DJ1ZB