Re: LF: East to West TA attempts

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: East to West TA attempts
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:08:53 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=gNbrBYbkvUy2HinlvawFLuIWRzUwa/s967VvKVeX+GthEKKphhFvRT2Lo7X+qdvE8sQO87c9J5O7qoYT3O/TrTQzLiGKnoRz/q9qjxbmisayDbpvHecNBWvHLP9qWLicJb1ALfUGBVx+NRs+DS1JV1Np9BzH5qFmsr5YlVrgk0M= ;
Domainkey-status: good (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jay, that is the way I read it too. What you have to remember is that I
was using the Kyoto University figures at that time and that source was
reading at least  30nT higher than it is a present. There is also a lot of
evidence that Severe Geomagnetic storms (Kp=8 or 9) can lead to depressed
conditions over periods exceeding 28 days, even if there were no further
storms during that recoverly period.  We have had a couple of minor storms
during this "recovery period" which has pegged it back a bit longer.  The
Dst estimates do depend on how you derive them. The final values are only
posted after about 12 months, which is not a lot of use for real-time
propagation forecasting.  It is difficult to measure or estimate as it is
about a 0.1% pertubation of the normal Geomagnetic field which is around
50,000nT. Colorado Univ and Kytot use different techniques which makes the
comparision interesting and helps when one or the other "seizes up".

In a way very good conditions are "anomolous", the best results are often
not after a very long quiet period. I am not sure why this is,  but I
suspect it is possible that the E-layer could become slightly more
transparent after such a period. When Steve first started logging DCF39
(Dec/Jan 2003) this was seen and the best conditions occurred after some
minor geomagnetic activity when Kyoto reached a Dst estimate of zero. The
very best conditions are often seen for relatively short periods and are due
to enhancement when multiple paths reinforce. This is very likely what
happened to give Jean-Pierre an odd good nights reception recently.  My
guess is we ain't fully recovered yet. Predicting good nights is difficult,
predicted poor ones is a lot easier !! As someone one said "Forecasting is
difficult.....particularly when it involves the future !"  Still it keeps
the interest alive !!

Thanks for the comments....I hope it all comes back to us soon.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK