Re: LF: Very Annoying Aricle

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Very Annoying Aricle
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:40:24 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Andy,

On the webpage you refer to I read:
---------------------
To overcome this problem, the team investigated a special class of "non-radiative" objects with so-called "long-lived resonances".
When energy is applied to these objects it remains bound to them, rather than escaping to space. "Tails" of energy, which can be many metres long, flicker over the surface.
"If you bring another resonant object with the same frequency close enough to these tails then it turns out that the energy can tunnel from one object to another," said Professor Soljacic.

Somehow this sounds familiar to me (in particular the last sentence). Maybe from the manual of my dip-meter ...
A more known word for "long-lived resonances" may be "high-Q LC circuit".

Further I don't read anything about possible absorbance (= reduced efficiency, maybe unwanted heating) by the many object that will be near the "long-lived resonances" in a real-world situation.
I guess the computer simulation mentioned assumed a situation somewhere in outer space.

73, Rik  ON7YD