LF: Re: Math HELP!

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Math HELP!
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:22:49 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=MLe9v0xiGxYcIj8P2ckG639J+PEeaUxrbZT8Jmc1YCtSDX0AnAUGMpxvDBtZy9Zgg+vJyJZjgZaE9RUfNwdbTkzUbhmxnIYSnGMD9d2Mg/uIZ8O/3CZw0EL5IZIZP5UBVsQ/wXolvNuEEe0EsNI2bgKK8oNkdxDyYrtaTGlLZ0Q= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi J, Let us go back to the laws of physics which basically say you cant get
something for nothing !! If you are feeding in 150 watts (that is the max
assuming 100% efficiency)  and getting 2.8 amps of antenna current at
resonance, the antenna system resistance is 19 ohms (or less). I am afraid I
said before that fitting a transformer was a snare and delusion. I think
Alex has the point that part of its reactance is being used to tune the
antenna so it is not really 1:1.

Now ERP,  you are running 2.8 amps of antenna current which is fine. Your
ERP will depend on the radiation resistance of the the antenna. You can get
a rough estimate from the height of the vertical. Let us work backwards 2.8
squared is 7.84 so that if you radiation resistance is more than 1/7.84  (
=0.128 ohm) you are over 1 Watt ERP even with only 150 watts input. My guess
with 100 foot of vertical is you may have as much as 0.300ohm Rrad , but
will I need to find the formula for a top-loaded vertical again.  This means
you may well have 2w ERP at present (this all assumes the RF ammeter is
correct). A temporary connection of the ammeter above the loading coil might
make a good confidence test, as there is no possiblilty of measuring
non-radiating currents at that point.

I caution that the figures you have been absorbing from the books are from
mainly  from UK style antennas which are much shorter than yours. Out normal
antenna heights over here for domestic sites are 30 to 50 feet. A 100 foot
antenna has 4 times the Rrad of a 50 footer. and about 8 times the Rrad of a
30 footer. I recollect figures for a 30 foot antenna working out in the 60
to 80 milliohm range. Hence the need for 1kW input to achieve 1W ERP.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK