Re: LF: DCF39

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: DCF39
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:18:12 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Alan and Geri,

... I have to confess that I had actually sent an eMail to the EFR back in 2000, suggesting 85% energy savings (and less Luxembourg QRM for us) by reducing idle carrier power by 13 dB (http://members.aol.com/df6nm2/to_efr.txt). For propagation monitoring in sub-Hz bandwidth you would of course get a weaker carrier, but probably not be disturbed by the power change during the relatively wideband FSK telegrams. Anyway I think their current instabilities seem to be related to technical problems rather than intentional actions.

One thing I have been pondering is that if we would record the carrier phase evolution locally and distribute it by internet, a distant monitoring station could use that information to deconvolve the received DCF signal and narrow it down from about 0.1 Hz to any sub-milliHz bandwidth, gaining at least 20 dB in sensitivity. We could reference the phase log to GPS-derived 138830 Hz, which would enable the use of coherent signal processing techniques as suggested by G3PLX and others. A practical data format could be IQ pairs at one sample per second, with a new file starting every full hour.

73 de Markus, DF6NM

In einer eMail vom 29.08.2006 11:55:50 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt [email protected]:

Hi Geri, mmmm I hope not, because random changes in level will kill it as a
useful beacon source, and relagate it to the category of QRM.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK