LF: RF Ammeter

To: "LF \(RSGB\)" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RF Ammeter
From: "J. Allen" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 02:05:46 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Scott and Friends,

The ammeter check results are in.... Dead Meter.

I went over the antenna connections cleaning and soldering and a small amount of retuning was required.

Someone asked how things are set up now...

There are two coil forms involved. On the first is a bifilar winding with ten turns each for the coaxial feed and for the antenna feed. One end of each of these windings is grounded.

The second form has the loading inductor for the antenna. It consists of a single layer close wound solenoid with 40 turns of ~16 Formvar coated wire two inches long and 10-3/4 inches in diameter. The entire coil exactly resonates the antenna, without taps and without using the Variometer.

It is a very simple and straightforward setup. The fact that there should be a lower antenna resistance bothers me, but NOT enough to play with it. That antenna plays. I may make up an antenna current meter from the LF Today book. What cuts the toroid core material and leaves a sooth cut or am I dreaming?

J.