LF: Re: Re: RSGB seeks 501-504 kHz for Expermintal license

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re: RSGB seeks 501-504 kHz for Expermintal license
From: "Holger 'Geri', DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:54:20 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
> It seems 500 kHz marine radios had many strange "features".

... well, I was once young, too ;-) ... as a backpacker I travelled through
Turkey back in 70ties of last century. After a trip almost around Turkey I
took a ferry from some place to take me to Istanbul. As the boat trip was
long and a bit boring I did what I usually did at those times when riding a
ferry: I climbed up to the radio room and showed the raios officer my QSL
card. As usual I was received very friendly. A conversation was not that
easy because we did not really speak a common language ... besides the
Q-code and CW radio abbreviations! Somehow it worked, we had a lot of fun.
Then the radio guy made me understand that he was supposed to send a message
about his position to the nearest coastal station. He wrote the text of the
message to be transmitted on a sheet of paper, handed it over to me and
pointed to his morse-key. For me as a radio ham without any previous
experience in the ship radio service it was a great feeling transmitting on
an MF frequency close to 500 kHz and even receive ans answer from the
coastal station. I felt a little bit like when I was conducting my first QSO
as a ham.

... well, and now I am sitting here in my shack, and an old marine radio
tranmitter keeps the frequency 440 kHz busy under the callsign DI2BO. Old
stations never die ...

Best 73

Geri, DK8KW / DI2BO

P.S.: In the meantime I �t least do hold a ship radio telephony operator's
certificate ...