Re: LF: LF/HF/VHF Spark?!

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: LF/HF/VHF Spark?!
From: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 23:37:35 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello LFers,

My other hobby is experimenting with Tesla coils and I have three at
the moment that are operational.  The largest is powered by a hydro
"pole pig" transformer and I run it at a modest 3 KVA input power.
It produces multiple discharges of over 1 meter in length and it can
light up a fluorescent tube held in your hand 15 feet from the coil.

I was concerned about possible nasty effects on my LF receiving kit,
so I did a few test.  Like Peter, G3LDO, mentioned in his posting, I
was rather surprised at how little it radiated.  The coil runs roughly
at 100 kHz. and I had anticipated a rather broad spectrum of noise
up thru the LF bands.  I saw nothing on my Argo screen to indicate
that the coil was disrupting LF reception at various QRSS speeds.
The distance from my antennas to the shop where the coil resides is
about fifty feet.

It appears that a Tesla coil WITHOUT an antenna attached to it is
a poor radiator of RF energy.  Hum...I wonder if you G stations
could copy it if I connected my T antenna up some night?

73, J.B., VE3EAR - VE3WZL
Solar and wind powered
EN93dr