LF: Re: Re: Top-fed LF antenna idea

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Top-fed LF antenna idea
From: "Peter Martinez" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 06:31:24 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
From G3PLX:

Dave/Brian/Jim/all..

Thanks for the feedback. I also received one from Bob VE7BS describing his pal's results from the top of a tower block with a whip on top-band.

Brian's point about ships antennas is one I also recall seeing mentioned in G3LNP's article about his top-fed tower. It seems that the early workers just calculated the effective height of the antenna measured from the radio cabin, not from the sea surface, and were surprised at how good the results were. I think there has been a blind spot in conventional understanding of how a small antenna fed against 'ground' works when it's sitting ontop of something else, and it seemed to me that if we took this into account, a lot more interesting locations might suggest themselves for LF working.

We don't need to be able to actually see and touch the conductors involved in the process of carrying the current up and down the structure in order to know that we are using it as an antenna. If I sit on the top of my tower with some sort of whip or capacity hat out in clear space, and I can measure that I am poking a useful amount of RF current into it, then I don't need to go to great lengths to trace how this current is getting back down the tower to ground. In particular I don't need to run a wire down the side of the tower and worry about how to ground it at the bottom. I can assume the current is flowing down the tower because there's simply nowhere else it can go. If a meter at the base of the whip registers 1 amp then that's 1 amp flowing down the whole height of the tower. I can then just measure the height of the tower above the surrounding terrain, derive the radiation resistance (using the full height, not half of it), and estimate the erp from that. As I said in my RadCom letter, a small antenna fed 'against ground' at a height of H metres is a vertical antenna H metres tall. This is clearly only true if the structures in question are small compared to a wavelength, but this is certainly going to be true for 2.2km waves.

What would be useful now is to see how easy or difficult it might be to push a decent amount of RF current into a whip from the top of something tall.

73
Peter