Re: LF: EMF sensitivity?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: EMF sensitivity?
From: Marek SQ5BPM <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 09:31:54 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Peter,

I think that some colour magazine in Poland added an 'UV checker' in the past, if I don't find it, maybe it will appear again this summer. It was a piece of plastic with a field changing it's colour depending on the level of UV radiation. Maybe it can be bought in a cosmetic store as well.

What could be an indirect prove of the UV radiation is the look of insulating tape - the tape outside the coil (thus exposed to HV wires) is slightly different in touch and almost without glue. The same tape inside the coil, where apart from the variometer are no wires, is almost like new. The tape is used to hold the antenna current meter.

73! Marek SQ5BPM

Peter Martinez wrote:
From G3PLX:

Marek:

My suggestion about UV was based on your description of the symptoms, and it sounds as if you agree with this, but I think it would be most useful if, before you modify the installation to remove the problem, you take some steps to make a positive verification that there is UV radiation. You have said it's not enough to show on a banknote. If you do not make a POSITIVE test for UV, it will be possible to make a wrong conclusion, and this could be important for the future.

Does anyone know of a way to test for UV exposure? As Rik says, it's the total dose that will give the burning, so maybe what is needed is a scientific way to measure UV dose. How do they check UV sunbeds? Maybe there is some way the experts can test that UV suntan beds are safe to use, and you could contact these people and see if they can tell you how to check for sure.

One idea that occurs to me (because I have the equipment here to try it myself) is to see if an EPROM is erased near to the possible UV source, and make some tests to see how long it takes to erase it compared to exposure to a known intensity UV lamp. But maybe it takes too long. I know it takes a long time to erase an EPROM with sunlight.

In the meantime you can protect yourself from the UV simply by hiding the coil behind an opaque sheet.

73
Peter