LF: Re: [LW] Common Mode Noise on Feedline...

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: [LW] Common Mode Noise on Feedline...
From: "MIKE REID" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 02:56:52 -0600
Cc: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:57:21 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Looked at the schematic of the PS (Astron RS-35M) and low and behold, there was the ground wire for the negative terminal going right to the A/C mains ground lug. Clipped the ground wire and re-assembled PS. Fired up Mini on a band from DC to 22kc. Wow what a huge difference with nearly zero zip nada buzzsaw sucker anymore. Solid VLF signals as well as quiet noise up the dial with Wahoo signals thru the MW BC band (1.7mc). Now to make up a long patch cord that will get a zillion turns on one of those big sucker toroids. That'll be tomorrow, I'm beat...

A huge thanks Bill & to all the others who have told me about grounding the feedline inside as well as outside and isolation transformers. The noise is nearly gone now and I will get it down to nothing very soon.

73's,

Mike
WE0H