Re: LF: 136 khz acty Sunday

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 136 khz acty Sunday
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 08:27:54 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 08:28:44 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
  I bought one of those DK9SQ telescoping masts a couple of years ago.
  Yes, its very light but also very weak The top section is maybe 1/4"
  diameter. I was able to (just barely) get it to hold up a 75m dipole
  made up of #20 insulated wire fed with 300 ohm tv twin lead, I used
  fishing line instead of rope at the dipole ends. I used the mast as
  a center support, and it still bent a bit under the weight of the
  very light dipole. Also, there is no locking mechanism on the
  telescoping sections, to prevent it from collapsing on itself I had
  to put a piece of tape accross each of the lower sections.
73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ

I had exactly the same experience with mine, though it was useful when operating occasional LF portable. When I used it at home, my neighbours didn't like it because it was so unstable in the slightest wind.

I still keep it handy, though, as it makes a very lightweight 25ft extension to my arm when I need to disentangle branches from the antenna after a storm.

Mike, G3XDV