Re: LF: WOLF Tonight

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WOLF Tonight
From: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:07:29 EDT
Delivery-date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:08:21 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Mike, Wolf and LF,

[email protected] wrote:

I wonder if those Australia and New Zealand stations can try receiving with GUI WOLF? Seems the new WOLF is kicking QRSS's ass =-O

Mike

I'm not sure, Hartmut has been reading XES excellently in various flavours of narrowband modulation most nights. I think it depends on what you want to do. In the ZL tests, the primary goal up to now was to show that some signal energy is actually making it through. For this purpose, a single carrier or slow QRSS/DFCW dashes are hard to beat. The problem with spread-spectrum modulation like WOLF is that a weak signal is completely invisible in a spectrogram, which implies that the frequency has to be known a priori, and only one signal can be decoded at a time.

The situation becomes completely different when we want convey a significant amount of information, especially in conditions where the SNR varies over time. Here the decoding, weighting and synchronizing "brains" of WOLF may well make it far superior to human demodulation or straight PSK.

I wonder whether it would make any sense to give WOLF a small carrier component, by intentionally unbalancing the number of zeros and ones in the synchronizing bitstream?

[email protected] wrote:

and a few goodies like an automated RX / TX
control which can "answer" a call when a pre-defined string has been
received.

Cool. Perhaps you could let the program select one of several stored answers depending on the received text, then we wouldn't have to stay up all night for those TA QSO's ;-))

73 and a nice weekend to all

Markus, DF6NM