Re: LF: WOLF sources

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WOLF sources
From: "Stewart Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 01:32:32 -0700
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Mike and all,

By the sounds of what you wrote, WOLF could become the mode of choice for crossing the pond with a Part 15 signal level.

I'd very much like to see that happen, but ...

If we had conditions similar to US lowfers, with just a second
hop added, then I believe it would be workable.

However, going west to east, you have some very strong LF broadcast
stations to contend with.  They are spaced 9 kHz or less, so you
can't put your signal more than 4.5 kHz from one of those carriers.
I've been told that the sideband energy is typically many dB above
(quiet) atmospheric noise level.  It might be possible to choose a
special time, e.g. when the broadcast station is off the air for
maintenance, but it would be much less likely to find good
propagation with such an additional constraint.

Going east to west, it's probably not legal to Tx near 190 kHz.
If you had to use 136 kHz, the lower antenna efficiency and higher
noise level would be a significant disadvantage.

Any ideas for mitigating these problems?

73,

Stewart KK7KA