LF: More on cores...

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: More on cores...
From: Marek SQ5BPM <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:44:08 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello all,

I noticed that people are using much more turns than me in the output transformer, so I would appreciate any help in calculating the correct number of turns for the cores I am using here. Messing around the trafo would probably allow me to achieve more power than now (450W). Trying to go higher causes heavy ringing + FET heating. I've tried almost everything to reduce this (different combinations of Zobel network, decoupling, inductances in series with gates, screening, grounding etc.). In every case around 400W things start to go bad, 450W is a border of manageable heat and ringing. I am thinking about making a new FET driver in a way that allows regulation of the time of the FET on-state, leaving some rest period in-between.

Here are some details about my configuration: the power supply is 45V, dropping to 38-39V at around 12A (depending on the 230V mains voltage). I am using two R40/24/16 rings made of K2006 material, stuck together, for detailed info see http://www.kaschke.de/english/framesets/frame_ringkerne.html . After experimenting with different configurations, currently there's 2+2 turns in the primary winding, 5 or 6 turns in the secondary winding. I remember that 4+4 primary didn't work good, but this was just a short try with low power - maybe there's a way to make this work with that as well. Cores are slightly warm but never get hot. The power supply is driven through a coil made of a single core (the same type), consisting of 5 turns. This one gets hot only when there's too much ringing in the PA. Adjusting turns in this one does not change a lot.

Thanks in advance for any help, I hope to make the TX again from scratch this summer: bigger, better & more powerful ;)

73! Marek SQ5BPM

P.S. Don't be surprised seeing another special callsign on LF, these days we are celebrating 25-th anniversary of the SP5ZCC Scouts Amateur Radio Club. I am planning some LF operation with this call on April 9-10th. For the time being, I hope to see some of you in the SP DX Contest CW/SSB on April 2nd-3rd (HF). Check http://www.contest.spdxc.org.pl/en/index.php for more information.