LF: Re: 807s

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: 807s
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:59:32 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
From: "Walter Staubach"
      is "your" 807 the same tube as I remember: PA-tube, 6V heater, anode
loss 25W, anode voltage 400 to 700V, penthode.
It was used for homebrew transmitters, often with the GELOSO-VFO ( CW and AM
only ). One connection ontop of the glass, I think that was anode. A rather
big tube. If it is the same - why building a receiver with it?   :-)

The 807 was the most popular PA tube for HB in the 50s and 60s. They were
plentiful and reasonably cheap and could handle a lot of misuse. They were
tetrodes with an anode (plate) topcap.With a maximum PA voltage of around
750v and a current of 100mA they could put out around 40 or 50w.
I used a couple of 1625s (12.6v heater equivalent of the 807) in a zero bias
pushpull high level modulator.
The Geloso VFO was my first ever commercial ham radio purchase. I modified
it by replacing the 6V6 driver with a QVO-47.
I think the reason these high power tubes were used in receiver distribution
amplifiers is that they operated in the linear portion of the curve no
matter what large signal strength signals appeared in the passband.

Nostalgia aint what it used to be!

Peter G3LDO