LF: Re: Off Topic Ft101zd

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Off Topic Ft101zd
From: Alberto di Bene <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:32:58 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Z-usanet-msgid: XID593JBXahB0396X36
Alexander S. Yurkov wrote:

Why one need 24-bit? Though 16 bit is adequate for most SW,MW,LW recievers.
16 bit yelds abt 90 dB dynamic range (every bit exept sign bit yelds 6dB).
But this is dynamic range if there is no filtering. When you make banwidth narrow by DSP then dynamic range will be improved because noise decreases.
If frontend sampling rate is, say 100 MHz (there is such an ADC) and
bandwidth of DSP filter is about, say 10 kHz this yelds 40 dB of noise
decreasing. Thus RX dynamic range to be about 90+40=130 dB!
[...]
Alex,

I am not quite sure I do agree with you. While it is true that narrowing the bandwidth the energy of the noise inside that bandwidth do decrease while the signal doesn't (provided it is entirely confined into that bandwidth), the problem is another, namely dynamic range. You need a great dynamic range to dig out a faint CW (or SSB) signal near a much stronger one, when both are inside the preselector filter bandpass. AGC is of no help here. A good receiver needs ideally at least 100 dB (better more) of so-called spurious-free DR And a 16-bit ADC running at tens of MHz I bet doesn't offer more than 14 bits of useable amplitude resolution, which translates into about 84 dB dynamic range. If the problem were only that of a good SNR, then your solution would work, but here what is needed is the capability to receive a 0.1 uV signal near to a broadcast station with 1V signal at the input of
your receiver....

73  Alberto  I2PHD