LF: Sound card in Linux

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Sound card in Linux
From: "Alexander S. Yurkov" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:45:15 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear LF,

does anybody know how to deal with sound card in Linux? I'd like to
write some 'narrow band digital downconverter' wich will gives
oportuneties:
1. get high freq resolution on slow machine.
2. save in not a very big file all signals of narrow freq band say for  10
hours and then look for this signals by conventional spectrograph in
few minutes. It is too hard to observe a monitor during many hours
saving pictures time to time!

Seems I should simple read the device /dev/dsp. But there is some
quations:

1. How to control a device? What one should send to /dev/mixer
to control it?
2. Is there some buffering in a kernel or I should program a buffers? How
one can know buffer is not overlaped?
3. How to setup sampling rate, stereo/mono and 16 bit mode? How to devide
byte flow to 16 bit words? What format have this words?
4. Some others may be.

May be there is some info on the subject in the net? I do not find it
yet... Please answer to my private adress.

73 de RA9MB/Alex
http://www.qsl.net/ra9mb