LF: Re: Jason V0.99 with I/Q outputs

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Jason V0.99 with I/Q outputs
From: Alberto di Bene <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:13:27 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Z-usanet-msgid: XID535JaosNZ0006X29
Wolf DL4YHF wrote:

The amplitude- and phase adjustment controls work fine, especially because they have an immediate effect on the output while transmitting. A maximum phase error of 0.1° should be good enough for 60 dB suppression of unwanted carrier + sideband, so 0.01° resolution for the control is accurate enough (thinking about the sideband suppression of "commercial" rigs, which are not better).

Hi Wolf,

yes, for such kind of adjustments to be really useful, they must act in real time, when you change the
values, otherwise it will take ages to reach the optimum setting.

Only one very little suggestion with minimum prioritiy: Show the slider positions as numeric values (for example, as a positive or negative percentage). This makes it simpler to return to the previous settings just in case something went wrong while tweaking, and one could use the same values in other programs too.

Suggestion accepted (citation from "Men in Black"...). If you redownload V0.99 it now has the display of the values next to the sliders.
The mod is so small that it didn't justify a change in the version number.

Closely related subject: When building my phasing exciter, I found the "balance" control of my audigy 2 soundcard has a much finer resolution than displayed on the slider control of the "sndvol32" control panel. But the finest increment steps can be realized by selecting the control, and then using the mouse wheel (up and down). You only see something happening on the screen every X-th step, but using an oscilloscope it is obvious that every step has an effect. Furthermore, you may SEE the "balance" control (in sndvol32.exe) exactly centered (on the screen), but in fact it *may* be not. Calibrating the amplitude balance via software would cure this, but only as long as no other program does not restore the soundcard settings (and set the balance control precisely to the center position) .

The problem is that the sound card, and all of the accompanying system software are meant as add-on for *games*. Full stop. No other use is even contemplated by the "product managers"... so we have to live with what is adequate, useful and compatible with games. And given the sensitivity of the human ears, a finer adjustment display in the Windows mixer would be an over-kill...

So much for now, leaving to enjoy the nice WX now ...

You lucky man.... we are having dense fog since three days by now...

73  Alberto  I2PHD