Re: LF: Re: Gravity Waves

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Gravity Waves
From: Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:29:10 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Alan,

    Gravity waves due to CME shocks would ocurr in the ionosphere where the density is more than 4 orders of magnitude lower (and probably more like 6-7 orders of magnitude lower) than the density at the surface. This would not show up on a microbarograph!  There simply isn't enough mass sloshing around in the ionosphere to effect the surface pressure, and in any event there is so much noise in a barograph trace due to weather.
  Just for comparison, there are actually tides in the atmosphere (like in the oceans) due to the gravity of the moon. But there is so much noise in the barometric readings that these tides (which have an amplitude of 2-3mB out of a normal pressure of about 1000 mB) are only detectable under very steady atmospheric conditions such as under a very stable high pressure system. These atmospheric tides are many many orders of magnitude greater than any change in the ionosphere could cause.
  I think I went on too long for this list, may be a better topic for a weather/geophysics list!
73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ
FN42hi