LF: Gravity Waves

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Gravity Waves
From: Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:58:30 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Alan,
   The term "Gravity Waves" as used in geophysics (as opposed to astrophysics) refers to a wave at a density discontinuity whose restoring force is gravity. You are correct in making the analogy with waves on the ocean surface, ocean waves are a type of gravity wave. One can envison a similar phenomena wherever there is a pronounced disconinuity - such as at boundary between atmospheric or ionospheric layers (tropopause, stratopause, etc.)
   In my mis-spent youth I did graduate studies in geophysics!

--
73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ
FN42hi

> Hi Jean-Louis, sometimes it does, but I think there are a lot of different
> frequencies stimulated. I have had a few attempts to fourier analyse the
> plots, but not with a great deal of enthusiasm yet. If I look at a lot of my
> recordings there are obviously cases of beats between "waves" of different
> periods. But theory.....well no not yet....I am an empiricist.....get the
> measurements first and find a theory to fit later.
>
> I think there are things called "gravity waves" talked about in the realms
> of atmospheric and ionspheric physics (KN4LF's MF Propagation site has a
> reference to them), but I have not yet found much else of interest
> yet,except on I think it was the NOAA site, a program that prints out a
> quasi 3d representation of an oscillating sphere. I can envisage a mechanism
> that attenuates the high frequencies first but have not tried to work it
> out. I think that ocean waves might be the nearest analogue. The problem is
> that unlike water, the medium has a rapidly reducing density. Maybe there
> are some keen mathematicians around who would care to play with the ideas.
> Also the CME and solar wind is an "electro-magnetic" interaction. If it were
> not for the earths field I think the solar ions would penertrate right down
> into the atmosphere.
> Like all things it is probably a lot more complex, but at least I have a
> handle to enable me to talk about it and gather ideas.
>
> Cheers de Alan G3NYK
> alan.melia(at)btinternet.com

&g t; Subject: LF: RE: Re: RE: Re: DI2AG 440KHz...rapid fading

> Hello Alan
>
> Thanks for your interesting suggestion.
>
> I'm wondering why the "oscillating mirror" frequency would decrease when
> time passes.
>
> The amplitude of a jelly portion wobble decreases when the losses dampen the
> oscillations, but not the frequency which remains stable.
>
> So I would expect some diminishing QSB amplitude on the DI2AG records, and
> not QSB frequency decrease.
>
> Please what is the underlying theory about this frequency vs time decrease ?
>
> 73
>
> Jean-Louis F6AGR

& gt; > > Loc. JN18DQ, near Paris