Re: RE: LF: TA 04Jan

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: RE: LF: TA 04Jan
From: Steve Dove <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:54:01 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Joe, Laurence,

I have an FT857D (a wattier 817) in my car, and its deafness is of heroic proportions. If I were asked to come up with something that worked so well at HF but so dismally at LF, it'd be a struggle. It can't hear an NDB unless it's within about a hundred yards of it; absolutely amazing. So similarly, I use an Altoids tin containing a 500kHz low-pass filter and two series'd preamps to render it useful. Each preamp's configuration is based on:

http://w7iuv.com/preamp.jpg

only using FT50-J cores instead. It is broadly similar to a preamp by our very own Mr. Rusgrove, I believe the details of which are on John, W1TAG's site.

       Cheers,

               Steve