LF: Re: LF Components

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: LF Components
From: "Hugh M0WYE" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:07:30 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Alan said:

38-2670  Ferrite rod 20mm diam by 150mm long, this is really a "bulked up"
aerial rod !! I dont know what they are for but there are 6 slots along the
length...could it be to reduce eddy currents ?? I dont think they are
intended for a winding. I haven't looked at the permiability yet, but I
guess they might be better than using a "bundle" of smaller rods, as I do in
a 35mm diam solenoid. One thought is that it would be easy to trap a drive
cord in them for a permiability tuned inductor.

MMG-Neosid, describe these rods "fluted", although they don't do them as large in diameter as 20mm. They are sold as "Antenna Rods", but no explanation is given in the catalogue for the flutes. When I tried using ferrite rods at high power, i.e. TX not RX, I found that the ferrite heated up directly under the windings, the flutes might help reduce this.

73
Hugh M0WYE