LF: LF Components

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: LF Components
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:51:36 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all, I am not sure but I expect many of you will have received a card
that Mainline in Leicester has opened a web-site for the sale of the
"surplus" (rather than their standard line) stock. One or two interesting
items I found are

38-2670  Ferrite rod 20mm diam by 150mm long, this is really a "bulked up"
aerial rod !! I dont know what they are for but there are 6 slots along the
length...could it be to reduce eddy currents ?? I dont think they are
intended for a winding. I haven't looked at the permiability yet, but I
guess they might be better than using a "bundle" of smaller rods, as I do in
a 35mm diam solenoid. One thought is that it would be easy to trap a drive
cord in them for a permiability tuned inductor.

48-1285 ...is a small toroid about 15mm od and 8mm wide....12 turns gives
940uH so they would be quite useful as chokes and transformers on LF gear
low power stages, or QRP. 8 for £1

40 -1511 is a 1.5mH choke with a resistance of about 1.5ohms about TOKO coil
size and at 10p each very much cheaper, for RX filters. 10 for £1

40-3077 is an 8.2mH choke, (mine measures 7.98mH) in the same format as the
one above and a resistance of about 9 ohms. This could be useful for passive
audio filters ...a bargain at 14 for £1

There are also a number of toroids up to 35mm diameter but no information on
the mixes, so you has to "buy and try" Most are reasonably priced compared
with say RS prices. If you find a useful one...let ME know !! Do Watch Out
there are a few howlers 40-2967 is described as a 6.8mH inductor whereas it
says plainly on the item (when you buy it) 6.8uH . 40-3081 is described as a
"choke" and is actually the same item 6.8uH inductor, even has the same part
number on it (Mainline have been advised)

The site is at www.mainlinegroup.co.uk click for surplus and then catalogue.
There are lots other of goodies there for the constructor. The usual
disclaimer...my only connection is as a satisfied customer !!

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]