LF: Re: Save energy, but generate QRM ...

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Save energy, but generate QRM ...
From: "Hugh M0WYE" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 13:38:19 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Low Energy Light Bulbs
Hi All,
All the electronic ones have some kind of oscillator in them. There is no screening, and there is little space for filter components, so the fact is most of them radiate somewhere. (or cause the house wireing to radiate) The circuit is often just a two transitor power oscillator running off rectified mains,and driving a small transformer. Although some of them have a couple of small ICs in them. Similar circuit in the 12V lighting transformer. The crudely rectified mains amplitude modulates the oscilator frequency producing a wide spread. The "comb" of frequencies drifts with the oscilator temperature.

There is another type which use a conventional Ballast and Glow-switch starter, but they seem to be going out of fashion. Because these operate at 50Hz, they are no more obnoxious than a conventional fluorescent tube.

EMC testing is usually for radiated emmissions above 30MHz, and for conducted emmisions below 30MHz.

I have a 12V 8W "Caravan Light", which I use when I operate /P after dark. It was exceptionally dirty, but I found that by adding some local decoupling, grounding the metalwork of the lamp, and putting a ferrite ring on the cable, (all the usual EMC fixes) the interferance was reduced considerably.

73
Hugh M0WYE

----- Original Message ----- From: "captbrian" <[email protected]>