LF: Re: Re: Re: Found earth rod source

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Re: Found earth rod source
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:52:09 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Brian, Nothing, but Nothing, is undisputed unless you measure it at your
location at 136kHz !! Just coz it might work in my location doesnt mean it
will definitely give the same effects for you. Make a little simple Bridge
to measure R & C in series  <www.alan.melia.btinternet.co.uk/aelossbr.htm>
measure an untuned wire. It doesnt have to be the final wire layout, but
something close slung up with "rope insulators" .....they may not stand any
power but the will do to measure. You can then see what kind of developments
you need to get the resistance down. Lay the "radials on the lawn before you
bury them, and if it makes little difference, save the effort, unless of
course you want to work 160m, 80m and 40m, in which case the effort will
most probably pay off up there. You can connect one stake at a time and then
the lawn wires, the mains earth...see what makes the loss-resistance drop
most. When you can't get any more with copper in the ground start puttingit
in the sky as top-load.  I have found you can't get by with guessing on this
topic.

The water trick dont work when you have three strata of flints each about
4inches thick to drive through....its fine on the sandy bits bit but the
pipe is then a bit "loose" and needs to have soil washed round it to bed in.
On a hole dug through the flints (abt 5 foot down) you dont even need water
here, just lean on the pipe and it goes straight in down to 3m...in pure
yellow "building" sand. I am not sure that the stake has much effect in the
sand layer.....but as I said this one has not been measured yet.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK