LF: Re: Effect of LP-filter om efficiency

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Effect of LP-filter om efficiency
From: "Vernall" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:13:52 +1200
Sender: [email protected]
Dick PA0SE and others,

An interesting contribution.  My pushpull bipolar QRO PA can run to near squarewave performance, and I have successfully used an inductor input low pass filter for many years.  The low pass filter uses three large potcore inductors and HV polystyrene capacitors.  Texts on Class D and E do mention resonant circuits, and most of the commercial applications are in narrow bands, so tuning is a reasonable way to implement Class D/E for those users.  At LF I believe a hard driven final can simply be followed by a low pass filter and still deliver very high efficiency (certainly a lot better than Class C).  In New Zealand our band is about to be expanded to become 130 - 190 kHz, which is a relatively wide band, and not worth having tuning that needs revisiting for significant frequency change.  A broadband PA with a selection in low pass filtering is my preference.  For use only in the 136 kHz band, only one low pass filter is needed.

My preference for an inductor input filter came from reading (I hope my recollection is right) a Motorola article on stability of HF solid state power amplifiers, and the preference was for an inductor input filter.  I merely scaled the filter values to LF and found they worked well.  Possibly the instability bogey is not applicable to LF but I was aware that inrush current would be different if a capacitor input filter was used.  However, there are polystyrene capacitors from collector to ground so on the PA side of the output transformer there are "shunt capacitors" and these certainly reduce the "high frequency nurgles" as seen on a scope probe.

I have not tried "snubber" series RC networks but I have seen commerial high power switchmode inverters that use that, and the resistors are surface mount with good power rating.  Some of that 16% "harmonic power" gets absorbed in the interests of controlling spike limits.

Power devices (bipolar of MOSFET) can have slower turn-off than turn-on, and I suspect this has a large impact on transients in a pushpull power amplifier.

Regarding suppression of harmonics, and potential radiation, the efficiency of amateur (electrically small) antennas rises significantly (more than linear) with increasing frequency.  So merely a loading coil or "net antenna Q" is only part of the consideration of radiation of harmonics.  The insertion loss of a low pass filter can be kept fairly low and I think it is best to include it in a transmitter design, especially a hard driven "squarewave" machine.

73, Bob ZL2CA