LF: Re: North South propagation

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: North South propagation
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:16:51 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Peter, time almost for a post-mortem......Conditions were good and
improving (we are only just the "magic" 15 days past the last major storm.)
Having said that there was nothing spectacular about them, and similar
conditions should occur with some regularity...it wont be a "one-off" . The
is certainly someting about North-South paths (remember the Euro DX record
for a long time was Italy to Finland) Iam not sure that the "magnetic
direction" has more than a minor role on strengths. I feel that the sea path
and the fact that the whole of the path is at the "same time after darkness"
may be a more important effect. This is the effect that makes the morning
absorption at sunrise such a signal killer on N<>S paths. The only evidence
is from Laurences copy of Quartz Hill last year, and the consistency of
Joe's relatively low power signal in the UK. With a multi-hop path if all
the hops are good at the same time, then you could be on a winner. On an
East West path, because of sunset time variation along the path the
ionosphere will be in different states along the path. Thus some hops may be
good but other might show absorption.....the same effect as when the sunrise
sweeps down the path, killing it from the east.

It interesting to note that there is a reduction in signal reported by some
stations during the middle of the night. This is also often seen on
trans-Atlantic signals ...my term.."the 3 o'clock dip".

The boys have advanced the LF art somewhat in the last few days. Thanks
fellows for all the hard work.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK