Re: LF: lf andnoise and offshore.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: lf andnoise and offshore.
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:58:22 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
What is the longest sec/dot size that is used on amateur LF ?
I noted that Rik's QRS program offers up to 60 sec per dot.
Are there programs with much longer sec/dot times out there ?

Hi Peter,

You must have found a very old version of QRS (2.05 or even older).
Versions from 3.05 upward support up to 3600 sec dotlength (= 1 hour).

The latest version of QRS can be downloaded at various places :
G3YXM : http://www.wireless.org.uk/software.htm
LWCA : http://www.lwca.org/library/software/index.htm
NL9222 : http://home.wanadoo.nl/nl9222/software.htm
ON7YD : http://www.qsl.net/on7yd/ (click on software)

73, Rik  ON7YD

PS :
If there is any need I am willing to extend the maximum dotlength, if someone can convince me of the use of it.
I believe the ultimate limit can be calculated as :
  • Ham gets licenced at the age of 16 and dies at the age of 100 (I'm an optimist), so his "ham life" is 84 years (= +/- 44000000 minutes)
  • An average QRSS QSO at 3 sec/dot takes 25 minutes
  • A dotlength of +/- 5280000 seconds (= +/- 2 months) would allow an average QRSS QSO in a span of 84 years
This would improve SNR by 62 dB (+/- 10 S-points) over QRSS3 but would require a TX and RX stability of 0.2 µHz (micro-Herz). Also forget about ionospheric propagation as the doppler-shift will ruin everything.