LF: interference due to 136kHz transmissions

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: interference due to 136kHz transmissions
From: "Dick" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:40:19 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello all,

First of all thanks for answering my question; however I actually didn't
meant direct interference on reception (radio/TV) but RFI.
I mean the CW-signal on 136kHz detected in various audioparts
of certain pieces of equipement, like it happens so often when
working on the other HF-bands.
Especially external computer speakers and (low-cost) midi-sets etc.

Where I live everybody has cable-television or a satellite dish, so that
won't be the problem.
I'm just afraid of getting complains about strange noises coming out of
all kind of (audio) equipement in the neighbourhood...........

I can imagine that the RF-field on 136kHz is something totally different
than the usual HF-stuff.
Maybe higher voltage on antenna, or stronger magnetic component, but
less 'real' RF-field that cause all these unwanted detection problems.

I live in the center of a block of houses with an 10m backgarden.
At the end of the garden there is a little alley, and to the oposite site
of this alley there is first (like at me) 10m garden space, and then
parallel to my block, another block of houses.
So, my backneighbours ar a little less then 25m away from me.

So, defenatly my backgarden is not the ideal place to put up
some kind of transmission antenna for LF.
The signal will certainly find not an easy way to get 'out', and
my 'activeties'will certainly not stay 'unnoticed'to my neighbours.......
(sofar they haven't had any interference from my wires............)

My old QTH at my parents place is a little better with less, and further
away
neighbours; however there are some (to) nearby trees, that also may absorb
the little amount of energy
I am trying to get out......

Next weeks I'll be busy preparing stuff for our (inter)national PACC contest
taking part 14/15 february.
I will be operating the 160m station from PI4ZI, like I did last year.

Anyway, it is interesting to be on the list, and to get an idea about what's
happening all around.
Sofar I saw that even with 'simple'set ups QSO's must be possible.

Hope to see you all soon on 136kHz!

Dick, PA4VHF