Re: LF: RE: Re: AC feeder...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: Re: AC feeder...
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:24:37 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Rich,

As long as the chokes have a "resonable" value (let's say 100 uH or more) it should be possible to match the antenna for 136 kHz at the base. But you will not only need to make the antenna resistive but probably also do some serious impedance matching. Some calculations can be done, but most of the tuning will likely be according to the "try and error" method using no-so-conventional matching circuits.

Maybe this helps :
In my early days on 136 kHz I did test a lot of antenna configurations. As it was not always convenient to have a TX running when trying to match a strange antenna I did the matching in "RX mode", as I didn't had an impedance bridge for 136 kHz I used following procedure : 1. Take a RX and tune it to the DCF on 138 kHz, it will produce a strong signal on almost any TX antenna. 2. connect a 20 dB attenuator (50 Ohm) to the TX input, this will assure that the impedance "seen by the antenna configuration" is close to 50 Ohm regardless of the real RX imput impedance. 3. connect the antenna - via the matching network you wish to test - to the attenuator input and "play" with the matching network until you get the strongest signal on the RX.

In most cases I got the antenna matched pretty good to 50 Ohm (at 138 kHz) and fine tuning with the TX was done easily.
The advantages are :
- Don't worry about dammaging the TX due to bad SWR during the matching procedure. - No need a large collection of high-voltage C's and high current coils. Once you get the antenna matched in RX mode you can get the required high power components.
- No risk of burning your fingers (or worse) during the matching
- No need to put the TX off (or the risk to forget it) when removing a coil or capacitor.
- No risks of fireworks when making a shortcircuit by accident.

73, Rik  ON7YD

Yes, this is idea. But there are lights and they can't be switched
off
(there are not fuses, fuser are 500m away on the TX site...hi).

Rich