Re: LF: 136kHz project cancelled

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 136kHz project cancelled
From: "Marek Przybyszewski" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:53:34 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dick and all,

A great pity that you've quit the project. I am not at all experienced in electronics, and I went through many of what you've written about. I don't know whether you have an oscilloscope, I found that extremely useful during making the TX. The one I have is a simple, 20 years old Polish construction. It can hardly display max. 15MHz signal (you have to be patient with adjusting synchronization then :)

My first attempt with a signal source was a VXO with 10.000MHz & 11.350MHz xtals that I simply found in my shack. I thought it would be possible to pull them in a way that the difference will be at 1.377MHz. This appeared to be impossible... Don't ask how much time I spent on making the mixer stable and trying to pull xtals a little more... Simple little thing and can make you crazy. In the end, however, I managed to make a QSO transmitting on 136.5kHz. The first PA had no more than 150W output and I couldn't have got more due to strange oscillations and instability. Additionally my output filter used to get really hot (due to wrong coils?). At this stage I've lost some nice FETs also.

So I started the whole thing from scratch. I built a beautiful tiny VCO which ... appeared to be not stable enough for anything. I really did all my best with it and... a little heat from the PA stage and I am 50Hz away... Even with this sweeping VCO I managed to make some nice contacts. A better-planned output stage and change of output filter into air coils made it possible to achieve 400W of output power (roughly, it takes 12A at 39V and there is little loss, apart from the coil on power supply line). As for the power supply: the most expensive parts of the whole TX was a couple of 100V-rated big capacitors: I first thought that it would be better to use the PSU at 90V. I've been wrong: I tried this once and this caused rather a nice explosion of FETs (again). So now I prefer to stay at 45V but with twice as much current... Now I am using FT-990 as a signal source transmitting at 13.77MHz, attenuated and divided by 10 (74HC290). This is still not perfect because the output 137.7kHz signal easily interferes with the first divider stage. This causes strange loops and might also lead to a big bang. So during the transmission there are some additional grounding wires and shielding, which appears to be just enough.
===

I am still thousands miles from the point where I could say to anyone in the club: "Here is the TX, try it yourself". I am afraid it will never be like that: this will never work safe and solid. At least not the one made by me.

===

What I wrote about were just the main points in the TX construction, I encountered many smaller troubles at each stage, really. I think that when you get into problems it is good to leave the project for a few days, after that you have a fresh view on the problem and you find the solution quickly.

However I really had a lot of fun and learned a lot with it. Thanks to members of this group you never stay alone!

73! Marek SQ5BPM

Plebiscyt na najlepszego sportowca Warszawy!
Wyniki podczas Balu karnawalowego, badz tam!
Juz dzis zobacz liste nominowanych Sportowców:
http://klik.wp.pl/?adr=http%3A%2F%2Fsport.wp.pl%2Fwiadomosc.html%3Fwid%3D4737652&sid=102