RE: LF: Re: "T" versus "L"aerial

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Re: "T" versus "L"aerial
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:45:45 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

Dear Gary, LF Group,

Looking at your diagram, I would avoid having a downlead near the central mast for two reasons; firstly, unless the mast is well insulated from ground, the capacitance between the metal part of the mast and the uplead  will result in a significant proportion of the current going “up” the uplead flowing back “down” the mast, resulting in partial cancellation of the radiated signal. This implies a larger antenna current at the feed point required to obtain the same radiated signal, increasing the losses in the loading coil and other conductors. If you do go for this arrangement, make sure the mast has a low-resistance direct connection to the ground point of the antenna feed, in order to minimise the losses caused by these circulating currents. Secondly, there will be a high voltage stress between the uplead (carrying the full antenna voltage)  and the mast (more or less at ground potential), increasing the likelihood of problems with corona.

I think the optimum arrangement would be to put the loading coil on the garage roof (but spaced from it, especially if made of corrugated iron or other lossy materials), close to the sloping end of the wires, to which it could then be connected with a short downlead. This minimises the amount of high voltage conductors close to ground level, which have minimal contribution to the radiated signal, but do lead to increased loss. The fibreglass top section of the mast will maintain good separation and insulation between the main mast and the antenna wires – when using a fibreglass pole in a similar way to support my antenna, I found it was necessary to add a corona ring around the fibreglass tube to prevent burning where the wire joined the mast. As far as the arrangement of the top loading wires goes, the main objective is to maximise the effective height of the antenna. If the antenna was a simple vertical 14m high, the effective height would be 7m. Adding loading wires above the 7m level will lead to an increased effective height, whilst adding wire below the 7m level will reduce the effective height compared to the simple vertical. I’m not sure if there is any one “optimum” configuration – it would depend on all the geometrical restrictions in the particular situation – but as a general rule, for an antenna with a single mast like this it would certainly seem sensible to maximise the amount of wire above ½ the mast height, and eliminate as much as possible below that. This would also keep the high voltage wires well clear of the aluminium supporting poles. However, some compromise may be required here, since trimming the loading wires too much would reduce the overall capacitance to the point that it is difficult to make a big enough loading coil to resonate the antenna that does not have excessively high losses.

Cheers, Jim Moritz

73 de M0BMU