LF: Re: 3C90 Al value?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: 3C90 Al value?
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 02:15:24 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear David, LF Group,

My experience is that for toroids, low-level measurement of AL is fairly reliable, allthough it does have quite a large tolerance. As far as I can see, according to the Ferroxcube data, the 58mm dia cores are the TL 58/41/18 core size - Assuming this is the correct core size, the web site gives AL for these in 3C90 material as 2890nH/t +/-25%, so 3249nH/t is quite feasible. The 3C11 material in the same core size has AL =  5400nH/t +/-25%, which is not consistent with your measurement. But the colour code for 3C90 is given as "ultramarine/white", while 3C11 is just plain white, so it looks like they forgot the blue paint.

The permeability of ferrites does change greatly with applied H, temperature, f, etc, but for an inductance measurement at room temp with small signals at low frequency (eg. with an audio bridge or similar), this is usually not a significant issue, especially with large core sizes. 3C90 has a nominal initial permeability of 2300, against 2000 for 3C85, so winding inductances will be similar for both materials. 3C90 should have slightly lower loss. The 3C11 material has higher core losses, and a much lower curie temperature than 3C90, so would not be very suitable for a PA.