LF: Re:: Sat-TV timebase

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re:: Sat-TV timebase
From: "Alberto di Bene" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:34:29 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Thanks Markus for the detailed info about your observations.
Giving that both ZDF and 3sat are available here only via a satellite link, I think that
the GPS 1pps way is still the better to follow. I just wanted to avoid to install a fixed
GPS antenna on my roof, but it looks like I will have to.

73  Alberto  I2PHD

[email protected] wrote:
Hi Alberto and LF group,

the Astra downlink I observed was analog FM (10964MHz horizontal). The satellite signal was an exact, but delayed replica, with apparently no buffering. The only problem is that the path delay has some daily Doppler variation due to the small excentricity and inclination of the not-quite geostationary orbit. During my comparisons in November 2001, this shift amounted up to about 50µs peak-peak over 24h. Furthermore, the time-shift is not easily predictable, as tidal effects and occasional correction maneuvers cause a day-to-day variation in the orbital parameters. - If you can receive terrestrial ZDF, one very crude but enlightening experiment is to simply combine the two video sources via different resistors and watch the weaker signal's sync-bar wander across the screen in the course of a day.
[...]