LF: Re: Re: 136 acty

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: 136 acty
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:41:16 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

----- Original Message -----
From: dj9dw
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 6:36 AM
Subject: LF: Re: 136 acty

Hello Mal,
I´m rather impressed by your success on receiving. Seems I am far behind you. However, it might depend on the noiselevel. Here, next to Mainflingen, the noise is -90 dBm with BW=100 Hz in the noisegaps. Antenna is umbrella 23m high with 325 pF on the top. How abt the  noise on your side?
It seems to me that I had better results with a marconi only 12m high and only 120pF on top. With this antenna, for example, I did copy G2LDO audiable. Not so with a loop of 1.8m diameter, grounded or ungrounded.

Hi Peter
Nothing magical here but I do live out in the country where the ambient noise is low. I have published details a few times here about antennas and equipment, you have probably seen the info. I often get emails mostly private about what I can hear or see when others around EU and UK struggling. I often notice several EU stns calling CQ both on CW and the QRS MODE but they appear not to hear/see each other.
For most they are stuck with their QTH noisy or otherwise and make the best of it. I fortunately have plenty of LF antenna space and a quiet location both here and in GI land.
I have never used small diamater loops so cannot comment on performance. My smallest loop is 80 metres perimiter and performs very well. It is orientated for max pickup E/W, with this loop and my vertical I can hear/see all the activity on LF that is going on, in fact I have too much gain and have to attenuate hi. I have a larger loop 250 metres perimiter some distance away in the same plane but it is not necessary, I do not need the extra gain so do not use it, to date there is no advantage, because my receiving equipment is sensitive enough with the 80 m loop or the vertical.The loop antennas give an advantage over the vertical when the QRN is bad.
Tnx for the interest and your info
de Mal/G3KEV

vy73 de Peter, dj9dw.